Formula One: Charles Leclerc to drive for Sauber in 2018

Dec 03, 2017, 00:59
Formula One: Charles Leclerc to drive for Sauber in 2018

As for Ericsson, the Swede was in a battle with Antonio Giovinazzi for the second seat before Sauber opted to stick with what they know. The title sponsorship deal means the team will be called Alfa Romeo Sauber F1 and the multi-year partnership comes with technical and commercial benefits.

Marcus Ericsson will stay at Sauber next year for the 2018 Formula 1 world championship.

More news: Democrats skip Donald Trump meeting, raising risk of government shutdown

The promotion of 20-year-old Ferrari protege Leclerc, who is from Monaco, leaves German driver Pascal Wehrlein without a seat, with Williams the only remaining team with a vacancy. Instead, the Italian will be Sauber's third driver, effectively meaning he is in a reserve role.

"This agreement with the Sauber F1 team is a significant step in the reshaping of the Alfa Romeo brand", Marchionne said earlier this week. He was speaking in Milan at an event marking the launch of Sauber's new partnership with Alfa Romeo. "I think the guns are loaded in a different way".

More news: Black Friday Online Sales Surge to New Records With Mobile Pushing Fastest

"It's an wonderful opportunity for me but also for the team", said Ericsson, whose financial support has always been linked to Rausing and the Tetra Laval packaging group.

Leclerc had always been tipped for one of the Sauber seats after storming to the Formula 2 title, finishing 72 points ahead of Artem Markelov.

More news: Harry Styles, Miguel set for Victoria's Secret China show

Alfa Romeo supplied engines in the 1960s and 1970s and returned as a constructor in 1979 before again withdrawing at the end of 1985.

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
popular