Over 45000 evacuated across Russian Federation after bomb hoaxes

Sep 14, 2017, 01:07
Over 45000 evacuated across Russian Federation after bomb hoaxes

Russian authorities evacuated people from dozens of buildings in Moscow on Wednesday after a flurry of anonymous phone calls asserting the locations had been mined, RIA news agency reported.

All alerts have proved to be hoaxes and the authorities have urged the public to stay calm, the BBC said yesterday.

An emergency services source told news agency Tass: "Evacuation has been conducted at 30 facilities, with a total of 20,000 people taken outside".

That came a day after 45,000 people had been evacuated Tuesday from 205 buildings in 22 cities across Russian Federation in similar hoaxes, RIA reported.

More news: Apocalyptic scenes in storm ravaged Florida Keys

Many were city halls, schools and other official buildings, Bloomberg reported, citing local news reports. Several sources later reported police cordons had been lifted.

The Interior Ministry and Security Council declined to comment. Security services told the RIA news agency that over 45,000 people were evacuated from public places in 22 Russian cities on Tuesday, adding that numerous calls appeared to have come from Ukraine.

"All messages are being checked, emergency and operational services are working, all premises will be examined by sniffer dogs", the official said.

Bomb threats were also issued for Moscow's three railway stations - Kazanskiy, Leningradskiy and Kievskiy.

More news: State funeral for journalist Gauri Lankesh

Initial reports indicated that the evacuations might have been some kind of exercise.

Cops in Moscow reportedly received an anonymous call about an explosion in Red Square, according to news agency Interfax.

Russian Federation has been hit by militant attacks, including a bombing on the St Petersburg metro in April in which 16 people died.

More news: Samsung Introduces New Fitness Products

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
popular