Tour de France wrap after stage 12

Jul 14, 2017, 00:37
Tour de France wrap after stage 12

"I didn't have the legs in the final but there's still a long way to go", said Briton Froome, a three-time Tour victor and reigning champion.

The Team Dimension Data rider had been part of a 12-man break which went away early on the stage, and the two-time Tour stage victor attacked solo on the climb of the Port de Bales.

Chris Froome faded badly on the final climb to surrender his grip on the yellow jersey as Romain Bardet won a thrilling stage 12 of the Tour de France in the Pyrenees. "I didn't have the legs", he said.

More news: Qatar continues with negative response to the demands

I had a bad moment here at the end. If I'm doing a bike race, I always try to make it as easy as possible and save my legs as much as I can. The 36-year-old Briton, a two-time Tour stage victor, led by two minutes as he began the Col de Peyresourde but blew midway up and was reeled in by Team Sky.

Astana rider Fabio Aru chases Team Sky's Chris Froome in Stage 12. "Ramps of over 20 per cent, that's a really hard finish and I can only say congratulations to Romain Bardet for winning the stage and to Fabio Aru for taking the yellow jersey".

"There is still a long way to go", added Froome, who congratulated Bardet on his victory.

More news: Jagga Jasoos Trailer Out: Featuring Ranbir and Katrina

"I knew it could suit me", he said. Yates leads the young riders' classification by two minutes and 38 seconds from the South African.

Froome's teammates rode at the front with Aru's squad just behind, but showed no interest in reducing the gap with the breakaways. It is the first time an Italian is in yellow since Vincenzo Nibali won the Tour in 2014.

Aru's team-mate Jakob Fuglsang, who sits fifth overall in the general classification, suffered fractures in his hand and elbow in a crash which ended the race of key domestique Dario Cataldo.

More news: Blue Apron Prices IPO

Cummings had a two-minute lead at the top of Port de Bales and went all out in the descent as the fog broke and the weather picked up. Cummings was then caught with 8km left, lining up a dramatic finale.